Epic: Behind The Scenes of "Drop the World" by Lil Wayne & Eminem

Tuesday, March 2, 2010


MAKIN OF "DROP THE WORLD" LIL WAYNE FT EMINEM from DERICK G on Vimeo.


So Erykah Badu brought up a great question the other day through twitter: What's the problem with Lil Wayne?

Lots of people in the "underground" community like to jump on the bandwagon of dismissing him as a lyrical rapper, and they have some good evidence. Radio hits such as "Lollipop" wouldn't be considered some of his most memorable tracks in terms of bars. But the guy has been doing this more than half of his life. and throughout those 15 or so years he's made more than a dent in the scheme of things. I remember always seeing that video for "Fireman" and changing the channel; I absolutely hated that song, especially the part where he calls himself the "Best Rapper Alive".  The kid really had the balls to say that while Jay-Z was still making music. But now that phrase could be a scary foreshadowing.

Personally, introspective songs like "Drop the World" just move me. From the eerie beat, to the very first lines "I got ice in my veins/blood in my eyes/ hate in my heart/love in my mind..." are examples of how a rapper can say a lot without using too many words. Critics in the hip hop community say his verses barely make any sense, but what about DOOM? People praise him for his sideways verses and crazy, derelict flow. In my eyes, these two artists share many similarities with their larger than life persona's, drug references, and unique styles.

Point is, music is music, good or bad. That is the way I divide all the music that passes through my ears. Not by skin color, tattoos, clothing, association, or history. This video is going to be ridiculous and I cannot wait to see the entire thing!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Video
Audio
Events
Features